What is Italian Pizzelles? Italian Pizzelles are a traditional Waffle Cookie made from flour, eggs, sugar, and butter. My grandmother would always have Authentic Italian Pizzelle at her house during these holidays.
When I think of Italian Pizzelles I think of Christmas or Easter. She would either buy them at the local Italian Bakery or make them herself.
The Authentic Italian Pizzelle Recipes include anise extract that gives it that traditional Pizzelle Flavor. I have included the Original Authentic Italian Pizzelle Recipe and additional options if you feel like getting creative.
The Authentic Italian Pizzelle Recipes that is also known as the Italian Waffle Cookie. Pizzelles were originally made in Ortona, in the Abruzzo region of Southern Italy. Its name comes from the Italian word for “round” or “flat” Pizzelle, this is also true for the word Pizza.
In order to make Pizzelle, you will need a Pizzelle Press to check out our Top 5 Best Pizzelle Maker. They are relativity inexpensive and can be found on Amazon. I received a Cuisinart Pizzelle Press as a gift and I absolutely love it.
Around Christmas time my family enjoys making different types of cookies. One of our favorites is the Italian Pizzelle Cookie.
It’s very simple to make and you can add your own twist to the Authentic Italian Pizzelle Recipes for different flavors. Here are my top favorite flavors for Pizzelles:
- Almond Extract
- Maple Extract
- Banana Extract
- Caramel Extract, the possibilities are endless.
- Add Food Coloring, like red, green for Christmas or blue, purple for Easter
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Confectioners Sugar dust on top
- Add Coco to the mix for Chocolate Pizzelles
I used 1 teaspoon of dough to get the Pizzelle Pizzelle but they don’t always turn out perfect. When you close the lid it flattens the dough out and it can spill over. But my family doesn’t mind if they are not perfect because they taste so delicious.
Enjoy and be sure to get creative and share what flavors you have tried.
Authentic Italian Pizzelle Recipes
- 1 3/4 cups All purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter Melted
- 1 tbsp Anise Extract or Vanilla Extract
- dusting Confectioners Sugar
- 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Combined flour and baking powder in a small bowl and mixed together. Set aside to add later.
- Melt butter in the microwave for about 15 seconds. (time may vary depending on microwave wattage)
- Place eggs and granulated sugar in a medium bowl, mix together with a hand mixer on medium speed for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute turn the hand mixer speed to low and add the melted butter and anise extract (or vanilla extract). Mix for about 15 seconds until all is combined.
- Now, add the flour and baking powder mixture to the rest of the ingredients and mix for about 15 seconds. Don't over mix it will get too thick.
- Scoop about 1 teaspoon of dough onto the Pizzelle Maker (dough size may vary depending on Pizzelle Maker)
- Following the instructions that came with your Pizzelle Maker for cooking times.
- Lay flat on a cooling rack and add a dusting of confectioner sugar while still warm.