When I was growing up, my mom bought the Frozen Family Size Salisbury Steaks. It was a quick simple meal, that we all enjoyed. As I got older, I wanted to learn how to make my own Homemade Salisbury Steak Recipes, because it reminds me of family. So, this is the recipe I put together, and boy did it turn out delicious.
After making this recipe I will never go back to the Frozen Salisbury Steaks meal again. It’s not hard to make, the longest part is the gravy thicken up, and depends on how thick you enjoy it.
I used 80% lean 20% fat ground beef for this recipe because it needs a little bit of fat for the juices. The lowest lean-to-fat I would go is 85% lean to 15% fat.
The flavors in the mushroom brown sauce and ground meat are delicious. This Homemade Salisbury Steak Recipes is a comfort meal that I like to make on a Sunday and have leftovers for Monday. It’s that Delicious!
Best Skillet for Homemade Salisbury Steak Recipes
When cooking Homemade Salisbury Steak, you want to use a Saute Skillet. Saute’ Skillets have flat bottoms and deep sides to keep the brown gravy from getting all over your stove. Be sure to get a Saute’s Skillet with a lid, this will help thicken the mushroom brown gravy.
What is the Difference between Salisbury Steak and Meatballs or Hamburgers?
It’s true Salisbury Steaks are very similar to Meatballs or Hamburgers. When making Hamburger Patties you can just use ground beef and they turn out delicious. Meatballs have similar ingredients as Homemade Salisbury Steak, but the mushroom brown gravy makes the difference.
What is Salisbury Steak Recipe?
The Salisbury Steak dish originated in the United States during the American Civil War (1823-1905). The blend of ground beef, seasonings, onions, and breadcrumbs had a proposed cure for the digestive system according to James Salisbury.
This is where the name came from James Salisbury, he was an American chemist and physician. James was known for his advocacy of the meat diet to promote good health. Here is a quick video about James Salisbury.
Side Dishes for here Homemade Salisbury Steak Recipes
Almost anything goes well with Homemade Salisbury Steak. Here is a list of some of my family favorite Side Dishes:
- Mashed Potatoes & String Beans
- Mashed Potatoes & Peas
- Baked Potato & Broccoli
- Egg Noodles & Peas
- Corn & Mashed Potatoes
- Rice & Peas
- Any kind of vegetable and potato is delicious
Salisbury Steak Recipe
- 1 pd Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- 2 tbsp Butter or Margarine
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 8 ounces Baby Bella Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups Beef Broth
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- In a medium-size bowl, combine together ground beef, breadcrumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, egg, and salt & pepper. Combine together with your hands and shape into 4 oval Salisbury Steak patties about 1 inch thick.
- Heat saute skillet up a little and add butter over medium heat. Add the Salisbury Steak patties and cook until sides are seared on both sides. Remove from heat and set aside on a plate.
- Add olive oil to heated saute skillet, then add in mushrooms and onions, cook until almost tender.
- Add in the beef broth, minced garlic, ketchup, and Worchestershire sauce, Heat to a slow boil, sift in the flour, and whisk to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add the Salisbury Steak Patties back into the skillet.
- Place a lid on the skillet and simmer until the brown gravy is as thickness you want it.
- Serve with Noodles, Potatoes, Pasta, Vegetable. Enjoy!